The Shepherd of the Valley was a Catholic newspaper that ran from 1832 to 1836 and then ran again from 1850 to 1854. The first incarnation was published by Bishop Joseph Rosati. It was named in response to the anti-Catholic battle cry of "Save the valley!" The second incarnation was published by Archbishop Peter Kenrick. The newspaper combined both devotional materials with local, state, national and international news. The newspaper included many articles that were written in both English and French.